- Hottest Pre-Orders
- Recommended New Releases
- Exclusive + Ltd Vinyl
- CD Albums
STUDIO ONE Rocksteady 2: The Soul Of Young Jamaica - Rocksteady, Soul And Early Reggae At Studio One
Delivery from US $9.74
* Delivery cost to United States of America (based on your detected location) for a single item. Adding multiple items to your order can reduce the cost per item. Choosing a different delivery option can change the cost per item. Final delivery cost will be shown in order review page.
- Release Date 27 January 2017
- In Stock
- Product code
- Double Vinyl LP
- Soul Jazz
Soul Jazz Records’ new journey into the mighty vaults of Clement Dodd’s Studio One steps once more into the fertile musical environment of Jamaican music in the late 1960s and early 1970s, from the sweet harmony vocals of seminal 1960s Rocksteady right up to the nascent birth of Reggae and Roots music at the start of the 1970s.
Sleevenotes to this album are by Steve Barrow, author of ‘Rough Guide To Reggae’ as well as Soul Jazz Records’ own ‘Reggae Soundsystem Cover Art’ books.
While Ska at the start of the 1960s had taken American Rhythm & Blues as its main influence, Rocksteady focused on the emergence of American Soul music - with Jamaican vocal harmony groups such as The Gaylads, John Holt & The Paragons, Carlton & The Shoes showing a particular fascination with the close harmonies of Curtis Mayfield and The Impressions and other US Soul acts. Here even The Heptones feature with a cover of Bob Dylan’s ‘I Shall Be Released’.
The influence of Soul music on Jamaican Rocksteady and Reggae is almost palpable, so much so that one wonders how much more successful singers like Delroy Wilson, Alton Ellis, Slim Smith and John Holt would have been had they been born in Chicago, Detroit or Memphis.
Artists such as Alton Ellis, Delroy Wilson and Owen Gray defined the era - a slowed down beat as Jamaican political and social heat slowly increased when the 1960s progressed into the start of the 1970s - and the music evolved further from Rocksteady into Roots Reggae.
- Hortense Ellis - Sitting In The Park
- The Termites - Rub Up Push Up
- Carlton & The Shoes - Never Let Go
- Alton Ellis - I’m Still In Love With You
- Owen Gray - Give Me A Little Sign
- The Bassies - Big Mistake
- Hortense & Alton Ellis - Breaking Up Is Hard To Do
- Slim Smith - Born To Love
- Cannon & The Soul Vendors - Bad Treatment
- John Holt - Strange Things
- The Actions - Giddy Up
- Larry Marshall - It Makes Me Feel
- The Paragons - Change Your Style
- Jerry Jones - Trying Times
- The Heptones - I Shall Be Released
- The Gaylads - The Soul Beat
- Delroy Wilson - Run Run
- The Soul Two - Puppy Love
- Delroy Wilson - Riding For A Fall